Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lost Keys and Chocolate Pebbles

I lost my keys the other night after a drunken night out. For a while I thought the longer I keep digging the faster they would magically appear. But digging deeper did not produce any keys. So I gave up for the night and the next morning I was knocking on Ajumma's door on the fifth floor hoping after a game of charades my lost key problem could be resolved. Luckily, the charades weren't even required in this situation. Ajumma's teenage daughter answered the door. She knows a bit of English so I explained to her that I lost my keys and she handed me this.

Yes, you are looking at the keys to everyone's apartment in my building. She just handed it to me and said bring it back after making a copy of my own. I still don't understand why she didn't just take off my keys and hand me those. Instead her trust in me ran so deep that she decided to hand over everyone's keys in the building. I found a locksmith pretty quickly and got a copy of my keys made. It was rather cheap and I was amazed at how quickly my problem was solved. So next time your in a foreign country and you lose your keys, try not to sweat it. It'll all work out.

Next I'd like to introduce you to chocolate pebbles. Nolan (aka the boyfriend) felt bad after telling me to get on the wrong bus which he thought would bring me to the center of town. One of our main meeting places. While I caught a cab back in the right direction, he was in E-mart and stumbled upon a package of Korean trail mix that contained chocolate pebbles.
I first discovered these delicious morsels of goodness when I went to go smoke hookah with some friends. One of the snacks they give you is chocolate pebbles. Sudeshna and I devoured these pebbles and realized they were our drug of choice in Korea. They have a hard, yet thin and sleek outer coating. And of course, the middle has all the chocolatey goodness. NO they are not like M&M's. I don't think they are like any bite size chocolatey treats found in the states.

Nolan stumbled upon this bag that had a few pebbles in it. He scavenged the pebbles from the trail mix package and created a little container from the E-mart receipt. When I arrived at E-mart there was a makeshift mini container filled with chocolate pebbles waiting for me.

No comments: