Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Namsan

I didn't venture too far from the comforts of my own neighborhood this past weekend. I figured I should explore what I have right next door to me, like I've been meaning to for a while. I took a stroll up to Namsan, it's a mountain I have right next to my place. And when I say right next to, I mean all you really have to do is go up the street and cross the intersection and start making your way up. At the top of Namsan there are a number of neat things. Sadly, I couldn't figure out what most of the things were though.
These two monuments were standing in the middle of the park area at the top of the mountain. No idea why they're there, or what they stand for.
There was also a cool temple looking thing on one side of the park area at the top. It was painted beautifully and reminded me of the same type of artwork I saw on the temples at Haeinsa.This is on the second floor of the place. It was extremely quiet when I was up there. There were a few picnickers outside, enjoying the view from Namsan and their grapes (podos in Korean). They tried to guess where I was from and as usual at first they said Indonesia and then one man said Bangladesh. I was impressed. I told him I was American and that my mom is from Bangladesh, I would have gone into the whole born in Bangladesh thing but my Korean vocabulary is not that extensive, yet.The people sitting and enjoying the view were extremely nice. They even gave Nolan a whole cluster of grapes to take along with us.Here he is trying to walk and eat grapes simultaneously.In case you forgot -- the city I live in is named Changwon. These are the city's two main mascots. Why they chose aliens to be the mascots is beyond me, but I happen to think they're pretty cute aliens. The blue one with headphones is Chang-e and the yellow one is Won-e. One is wearing the headphones and yellow one has leaves for ears. Supposedly, this represents that Changwon is the city where technology and environment are both important.

This is one of the plaques that helped explain what was going on with Namsan. It was used as a defense fort. And, here is one last view from Namsan.

No comments: