Sunday, November 9, 2008

A long overdue post on the KBS Concert

So about a week an a half ago I had my first Korean pop concert experience. Complete with 5 member boy bands, flashy ensembles, and of course thousands of screaming teeny bopper girls going crazy for their favorites.

My friend Lindsay scored us prime seats at this outdoor event. There is a big circle in the center in Changwon, which is where the concert was held. The concert was being held as a part of the Ramsar Convention that Changwon was hosting this year. I didn't know about Ramsar until I started seeing signs for it all over the city the week the convention was being held. It's a treaty to help sustain and conserve our natural wetlands. Gooooo Environment!

To help raise awareness for keeping our wetlands safe, a lot of the Korean artists made their appearance and did their part so the young screaming middle school/high school aged girls would realize how important it is to protect our ecosystem.
Among the many big names present at the concert were TVXQ! I later found out this isn't even the real Korean band name they go by. Instead it's really Dong Bang Shin Ki (동방신기) which translates into Rising gods of the East. That's a pretty intense name! And let me tell you their attitude and the poses they struck right before singing were just as intense.

They even brought out the police brigade in case the girls stormed the stage. Fortunately no such event took place, but the thought of such commotion taking place excited me greatly.
This is ShinEE. Not as cool as a name that translates into rising gods of something, but they were pretty upbeat. The girls went insane for them as well. Believe it or not, I've been listening to their song Amigo on youtube, and I gotta say it's pretty catchy. I even know some of the words!

Here's a quick Korean lesson for you -- in their music video AMIGO
they keep repeat Ought to kay? Ought to Kay? which translates into What do I do? What do I do? It's become a favroite Korean phrase of mine. The song isn't musical genius but it's definitely a fun way for me learn new stuff.

Okay so now for some real up close and personal footage from the actual concert.
They started the concert of with a few mellow crowd pleasers. This guy was neat, he does Poppera. Awesome voice. This little bit of video doesn't do his voice justice.

The best and most memorable performance was by an artist named Son Ho Young. His song "I know" is definitely my favorite Korean pop song for the time being.

Here he is in action.
Here's another cool group beating their hearts away.

This next group call themselves the B-Boys. They were truly something else. They did mind blowing acrobatic stuff. It was insane. Just take a look.
This is just another clip of them doing crazy cool things with their bodies.

I had no idea what to expect when I decided to go to this thing, but I'm glad I ended up in the second row from the stage, in the middle of the circle in Changwon on a cold Sunday night watching pyros shoot off from behind my favorite Korean pop artist Son Ho Young.

No comments: