Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Expat bar and Noraebang 노래방



My voice feels hoarse this morning. Probably because we were at the Noraebang till 4:30 in the morning singing such classics as: Oasis', Wonderwall; Radiohead's, Creep; Flaming Lip's, The Spark that Bled; and many other crowd pleasers.

I went to O'Brien's which is one of the expat bars in Changwon. I met up with Lindsay and Nolan there. After a while it seemed like I wasn't in Korea anymore.

The bar owner is this nice Irish guy. He came up to me and jokingly said I should leave Korea before I get sucked into all this. I can see how people would wind up staying longer than they expected. Although, I really don't see myself doing that -- I'd miss my parents and friends way too much. There were a couple of bands playing and then Lindsay got to read her poetry, which everyone that was actually listening ended up loving.

I stayed at O'Brien's for a while and met a bunch of new people. Our group expanded to a good nine or ten people. The bar was packed with people and ridiculously hot inside. The crew moved over to the Bunny Bar to escape the heat. The Bunny Bar is a Korean bar and there were five people in there -- until we showed up. It was pretty nice since the bar was empty expect for 3 Koreans sitting at the bar chatting with the two bartenders, and then there was us.

We started playing darts. The first round Lindsay and I partnered up and we pretty much dominated. We won and then started playing another game with darts that required my aim to be accurate and consistent. Things were not looking good, we barely got our score up on the board. Nolan was my partner afterwards and the last game was absolutely devastating. We lost by two points. We were so close!
Once we’d exhausted the Bunny Bar we decided it was time to hit up the Noraebong. If Noraebong doesn't scream Korea, then I don't know what does (I mean I guess kimchee, but Koreans get real serious about their karaoke here). It was a fun night and long night, and now I'm off to go meet this new girl Zoe that just got to Korea a couple of days ago.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

the "bunny bar" hahaha, how funny. looks like you're having a great time! MISS YOU!