Friday, July 18, 2008

Korean bus drivers are insane.

I wanted to learn the bus routes as quickly as possible, since buses and my two legs are my only mode of transportation. I guess there are taxis too, but I'm paranoid that I am going to get abducted by a Korean cab driver. I think I've already committed several faux pas in using the bus.

First, your not supposed to get off the bus using the front door. I've done that several times, not knowing of course. Everyone just stared. People stare at me all the time, and I assumed it was because I was a foreigner. I'm just happy that the bus driver didn't start yelling at me in Korean, because I've heard that's happened.

Second, I made the bus driver open the door as he was stopped at a red light. I missed my stop the first time I was on the bus alone, coming back home. Really, this is not my fault, everything in Korea just happens to look exactly the same! Every time the bus nears a Baskin-Robbins and Dunkin' Donuts I feel that I am approaching my neighborhood, when in reality I'm probably on the other side of town.

I've started taking the 212 frequently into the center of town. And I always end up with the same bus driver. I think he has a lot of pent up aggression, because he seems to take it out on the roads. He drives like a mad man. Oh and don't ever assume buses will stop, just because your at a bus stop. In Changwon you have to flag them down sometimes, or they'll drive right past you, even though they see you standing right there.

Last night, I was on the 212 again, going to Lotte-Mart, and my crazy bus driver almost ran over a kid. I'm not even exaggerating.

Getting off is really scary for me. I've heard that the door has been shut on people. And it's not like I can yell out in Korean, open the door. I should probably learn that expression. You have to get on really fast and get off really fast. Needless to say, I always get real apprehensive when I take the bus, and I use them a lot now.

But, riding around does have its perks. I'm surrounded by mountains. This is just a little of what I get to see.

No comments: